Behind the Scenes of Olive & Clo

A lot of you guys would have noticed by now that most the photos taken for this blog and Olive & Clo’s Instagram (@OliveandClo) happen outdoors, either in front of a waterfall, deep within a rainforest, or out in the middle of no-mans-land with nobody to talk to, save for a few bored cows. But regardless of the company, or lack thereof, each location has proven more visually stunning than its predecessor.

Needless to say, I have become strangely obsessed with the direction this blogging journey has taken me so far. This blog not only challenges me on a daily basis, but it also forces me to live and has quickly become a piece of my identity. And honestly, I could not be more delighted or feel more blessed as these past few months have been incredible. An absolute whirlwind to say the least.

But today I wanted to chat about something entirely different, something that I haven’t really spoken about previously. Because as much as I enjoy working on this passion project of mine, truth be told, Olive & Clo demands an astronomical amount of work, and time, and dedication. Three demands I can scarcely spare on any given day of the working week. So despite feeling very grateful to have found a creative outlet that I so deeply adore, it’s been anything but easy.

So in light of the above, for this post I wanted to share a behind-the-scenes glimpse into what goes into shooting a weeks-worth of content for Olive & Clo. But more than anything else, allow myself a moment to reflect and be proud of all the hard-work I have committed to this space so far. And in typical Linda fashion, I am going to break this post into 3 segments:

• Behind the Scenes 1: 3 Photoshoots, 3 Locations, 3 Outfits and 1 Day.
  • Behind the Scenes 2: Public Wardrobe Changes and Difficult Locations.
  • Behind the Scenes 3: Work the Camera Baby ..or Try to.

Whilst also showcasing a few of my favourite photos from the month of May (hehe).

Behind the Scenes 1:
3 Photoshoots, 3 Locations, 3 Outfits and 1 Day.

Since my partner (the newly appointed Photographer and Editor of Olive & Clo – ha, congratulations babe!) and I both maintain full-time jobs, in order to adhere to my 3-posts-per-week blogging schedule, our last few Saturdays have been spent shooting content for the blog. And yes, this typically translates to the coordination of 3 separate photoshoots at 3 different locations with 3 outfit changes. All taken place in one measly 12-hour-day. Needless to say, it’s an elephant of a task and one that often leaves my car looking like the animal cast of Jumanji has rampaged through it.

And you might think that the above sounds like a lot of effort. Well, you’d be right, it is. But remarkably, I don’t find the days spent adventuring and discovering new places tiresome, not the least bit. It’s actually my favorite part. But it’s the bucket-load of planning that goes on prior to reaching the weekend that I find exhausting; the endless hours spent scouring google maps, brainstorming and thrifting new outfits, and questioning the integrity of weather predictions.

Behind the Scenes 2:
Public Wardrobe Changes and Difficult Locations.

I probably should give you guys some context around how cumbersome getting to some of these locations have been. For instance, to get to Kondalilla Falls (to see more, click here) alone consisted not only of a 5 km life-endangering hike down a mountain but the engagement of some very problematic stairs. Whilst Serenity Falls (to see more, click here) demanded nimble feet and agile reflexes (both of which I do not possess) and Cedar Creek Falls (to see more, click here) called for quite a bit of rock-climbing from rock-pool to rock-pool. So it shouldn’t come as any surprise that when hunting for waterfalls or hiking up mountains, I wear comfortable workout clothes and trainers. Because slipping, or worse, dying is not really a high priority of mine.

But what comes with exercising this level of ..self-preservation, is a different kind of nuisance. Public wardrobe changes. Where I typically find myself spending upwards of 10 to 15 minutes awkwardly scouting private areas (usually behind a big tree or an overgrown shrub) to change. Which never gets easier. Especially when met with the usual menagerie of curious bystanders that tend to accompany most public domains. Which is, understandable. But by no means makes it any less uncomfortable.

Behind the Scenes 3: Work the Camera Baby ..or Try to.

So, I am only going to touch on this subject briefly. Because, it is what it is. As I am the subject-matter of my own photoshoots, I spend more time looking at photos of myself than what I would deem a healthy, necessary amount. And what I have discovered in the past few months, much to my displeasure, is that I suffer from: a) resting bitch face, b) awkward limbs, and c) the inability to pose without looking like a pissed-off monkey.

Which I guess is ..fair enough, considering the closest I have ever come to a modelling career was when I tucked my fringe back, sat on a stool and awkwardly smiled for my high-school portraits.

So yes, managing Olive & Clo takes a lot of effort and a great deal of time. And truth be told, I go through my ups and downs, more frequently than you might expect. And honestly, if it wasn’t for the encouragement and active engagement from the blogging community (you guys!), I doubt I would be able to deliver what I do each week. So for that, I thank you.

I hope you guys enjoyed this post. And as always,  thank you for stopping by and to all my fellow bloggers, if any of you have the same experiences as I do, I would absolutely love to hear your stories!

1. May 24, 2017 / 5:51 am

I appreciate your efforts, your photos and information are always nice to see in my inbox! 🌴❀️

• May 24, 2017 / 7:03 am

Thank you John! Hearing that my efforts haven’t been lost on you has made for a very encouraging Wednesday morning! 😊❀️

2. Anonymous
    May 24, 2017 / 5:57 am

Photos are absolutely stunning! You should be so proud! Some of my favourite posts ❀️

• May 24, 2017 / 7:03 am

Thank you so much lovely! And for stopping by! 😍❀️

3. May 24, 2017 / 6:03 am

Your photos are always so beautiful Linda and Rhett!! I can see how much work you guys put into it, and I’m impressed that you guys do this all in one day! I love seeing what new places you guys will explore, and hey even if its a photoshoot in your house, I’m sure I would be impressed! Your outfits are always stunning πŸ™‚

• May 24, 2017 / 7:06 am

Oh Angela Baby! πŸ˜πŸ’›
      Thank you so much once again! I have passed on your compliments to my better, more creative half. 😜

As always, I adore your support!
      I don’t know how you find the time to read and comment with YOUR posting schedule. 3 times a DAY. Goodness me. You are my motivation. πŸ’›

• May 24, 2017 / 7:46 am

You’re welcome! I love looking through your blog, it’s always so well written and filled with gorgeous photos!
        And yeah, I wasn’t kidding when i said that I’m here all the time πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

4. May 24, 2017 / 6:39 am

Well, Hello Linda’s fiance, on behalf of her readers: THANK YOU! hahaha. It’s amazing the amount of work that goes into blogging and then you still manage to churn out such quality contents each time! You make it look so effortless and that’s obviously because it’s something you find pleasure in so it looks and feels less like a a chore.
    Thanks for taking us behind the scenes. I need to start devoting set time weekly to get my photos ready in advance.
    Your blog is so encouraging. Ha!

• May 24, 2017 / 7:11 am

Hello Lovely! πŸ’›
      Haha, oh stop it! I’ve just finished relaying your kind words to him and can’t seem to wipe that grin off his face! 😏😏

Oh yes! Planning makes the biggest different. I need to get better at it as well. Truth be told, Rhett and I have a strike rate of 1/3 posts going the way we planned. Not great!

Also. Didn’t you change your domain? You need to update your URL when you comment. It’s still showing asakemii.wordpress.com β€οΈπŸ’›

Linda xo

• May 24, 2017 / 9:29 am

Ugh. I’m gonna fix it now. I thought I already did πŸ˜‘.
        Thanks girl 😊

5. May 24, 2017 / 6:48 am

Such a great post! Well done to both of you, the pictures and posts are always fabulous 😁 I think Rhett deserves fiancΓ© of the year haha! Honestly, it’s one thing to support your partner’s dreams/goals etc but to actually put your money (or in this case photography skills) where your mouth is, is a sign of an absolute keeper! Amazing job guys xx

• May 24, 2017 / 7:13 am

Haha, Lou! You’ve injected LIFE into my partner on this very drawl Wednesday morning. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

To be honest, I think you’re right. Considering that he started 3 weeks ago and had ZERO photography experience, committing hours to learn how to operate a DSLR from YouTube. Haha. I would say fiancΓ© of the year for sure. ☺️☺️

Once again, thank you for your encouraging words Lou. I love your support and your work! ❀️

6. May 24, 2017 / 2:01 pm

Please don’t die for a photoshoot! We’d all miss you πŸ˜‰

Not much i can add as there is no way i could have a modelling career – I’m staying firmly on the other side of the camera and as i do not have such a beautiful photogenic subject on hand nor any lining up to be filmed i find myself shooting mostly things i find in my garden. ( i should probably get out more but that’s another story! πŸ™‚ )

Keep doing what you love, but try not to let it become stressful – that’s never healthy.

love.

• May 24, 2017 / 6:39 pm

Hahaha! I will try not to! 😜

My partner would share the same sentiments as yourself. I think in our 9 years together, we have maybe ..20 photos all up? I think he is with you there!

Definitely need to get out more. It’s amazing the different perspective and angles you can find. A big mission of mine this weekend is to gain some ‘versatility’. So, I’ll report back on how I go!

Thank you once again for the kind words and support! ☺️☺️

7. May 24, 2017 / 5:29 pm

I never imagined you did all this for a photo shoot! Damn girl!! I am so impressed! I have so much more love and respect for you after this! Now why i would have previously thought you had all these waterfalls handy in your backyard….. It never dawned on me that you trekked and changed etc!

The proof is in the pudding though and your pics are unreal! I’m also so impressed with your newly appointed Photographer and Editor!!! You guys make the perfect team!!

I love your posts, please keep trekking!! 😍

• May 24, 2017 / 6:46 pm

Haha, babe! How many days until you get back to London?! (impatiently taps her feet!)

Haha, awe. Thank you love. ❀️

I guess the blog just acts as a good excuse to get out and see things, go to new places. But ugh πŸ˜‘ – yes, the outfit changes. I could do with them being a little less awkward! LOL.

Thank you so much! I will be sure to pass your lovely compliments to my better half 😘
      He has only just started his photography journey himself – not too shabby so far!

Do you think you’ll get your hubby behind the lens? 😜❀️

8. Anonymous
    May 24, 2017 / 11:30 pm

Amazing dedication tobyour goals !! I enjoy your loactions and have been wondering a while. Does she hike there wearing that?! πŸ˜„

• May 25, 2017 / 5:14 am

Bahahah! 🀣🀣
      This comment made me lol. I wish I was that skilled. Could you imagine hiking in a maxi skirt? I’d be dead by now, or at the very least, flat on my ass!! ❀️❀️

9. May 25, 2017 / 7:43 am

I love this post, girl! And how blogging forces you to live! So good. You go.

• May 25, 2017 / 8:04 am

Thanks beautiful girl! ❀️😍 And for dropping by! 😘

10. June 5, 2017 / 1:05 pm

LOVE that you share this!! Hopefully one day you’ll be doing this full time and won’t have to work around the full-time job! That’s one of my goals in life! πŸ˜‰
    Also, YAY for instagram husbands (that’s what I call my fiance) – he’s recently started to be my photographer and so far, so good!

• June 5, 2017 / 6:44 pm

Hahahahahaha. Shhh.. fingers crossed! 😜😜
      And you too! Maybe one day, in a few years, you and I plus our ‘photographers’ will find ourselves jet-setting to somewhere lovely and warm. Ohhh… wouldn’t that be lovely.

Oh my gooooodness! I am so excited to hear that! Haha, how’d you rope him into it? Ohh! I am so excited to see a new fashion post from you!! πŸ™ŠπŸ™ŠπŸ™Š

• June 6, 2017 / 4:32 am

Yes, that would be lovely!! I’d love to get out to Austrailia sometime!! πŸ™‚
        “Rope him into it” is exactly what I did- basically gave him no choice! Haha πŸ˜‰ He actually doesn’t mind it at all (most of the time)

11. June 21, 2017 / 9:20 am

“considering the closest I have ever come to a modelling career was when I tucked my fringe back, sat on a stool and awkwardly smiled for my high-school portraits.” πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Oh I remember those days πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

P.S. You’re definitely working it. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰
    Also, it’s motivating to see the amount of efforts y’all put into this blog. Kudos. Because Olive n Clo is slowing become an addiction. 😁

• June 22, 2017 / 7:10 pm

Oh thank you so much lovely Jainey! πŸ’šβ€οΈ

You are much too kind! But you have made my day! And it’s comments like these that I have become addicted to! So thank you! ☺️☺️☺️❀️

And thank goodness those days are over! Haha.