My Relationship With the Outdoors

Just thinking about the upcoming weekend has me out-of-this-world, bouncing-out-of-my-seat excited. Rhett and I have booked to spend a night away and the sheer thought of being outdoors again, breathing fresh, unpolluted air after 5 days confined to a desk has lifted my mood considerably on an otherwise ordinary Thursday morning. Which I find pretty odd as prior to Olive and Clo, I had never once considered myself an outdoor-sy person. Not by a long shot. And 5-months-ago, if you were to tell me that I would soon be scrambling up mountains, or chasing waterfalls, or rising before dawn to catch a sunrise, or wanting to visit national parks on my days off… well, I would have branded you a dirty, dirty liar.

It goes without saying that, over the course of a few months, I have gone through a tremendous amount of personal change. Not only do I now habitually blog, finding happiness in the art of writing and sharing, but I have since become an advocate of nature, and going on adventures, and viewing life through a lens governed by mindfulness and simplicity. And to be honest, I’m not entirely sure when I made the mental switch, or why my priorities shifted so dramatically. But somewhere along the way, I stopped feeling relaxed or happy after a weekend spent at the shops or within the safe confines of my own home.

A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints. — Wilfred Peterson

So long story short, I made some necessary changes to my life. And ever since I first forced my lazy-ass out the door and pushed myself to be okay with potentially running into a snake, or a leech, or heaven-forbid, a spider, I genuinely feel that I have found a true source of my happiness. And for better or for worse, I started living for the weekends. I adore nothing more than days spent outdoors, wide-eyed, with the wind whipping my face and my bare feet flat on the ground.

So with that being said, I wanted to take this opportunity to share with you guys a few of the reasons why I have fallen so hard for this new lifestyle of mine. Whilst also showcasing a few of my favourite photos from my morning spent watching the sun rise on Moffat Beach, a little surfing hub located just over an hour North of Brisbane CBD.

Reason 1: It Forces Me To Be Mindful.

And it’s as simple as that. Whether I am climbing up Mount Cooroora or exploring Serenity Falls, more often than not, I am mentally present and rarely do I ever stray from whatever I am concentrating on. Because not only am I off my phone, but I am forced to remain vigilant. Especially when tasked with navigating my clumsy-self around vertical drops and terribly-defined walking tracks. Which my fiancé will tell you, can at times, prove very difficult.

I felt my lungs inflate with the onrush of scenery – air, mountains, trees, people. I thought, ‘This is what it is to be happy.’ — Sylvia Plath

Reason 2: It Resets My Perspective For The Week.

On average, I spend about 40 hours of my week within an office environment and 2 to 3 hours commuting to and from work. And like most people, by Friday afternoon, the lines between my personal life and my professional life have well and truly blurred. So, simply put, the mere activity of placing myself in an environment that is pretty much the counter to what I am exposed to from a Monday through to Friday, works absolute wonders when it comes to resetting my mind-frame and re-aligning my priorities back to where I want them to be.

Reason 3: It’s A Hobby I Can Do With My Hubby.

What more can I say? With myself behind the keyboard and Rhett behind the camera, this little space of ours in the big ol’ blogosphere has actually elevated our relationship to a wonderful new level. We now have a business partnership of sorts. And if nothing else comes out of this hobby, the memories and experiences Rhett and I have curated together since starting Olive and Clo has already paid our efforts back in spades.

The purpose of life, after all, is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience. — Eleanor Roosevelt

That’s it from me today. As always, I hope you guys enjoyed this blog post. And until next time, stay safe!

1. July 6, 2017 / 7:00 pm

Aww, this post was really nice to read. I’m glad that this new found passion of yours (and Rhett’s!) has been so good to you. I always look forward to seeing about what adventures you get up to 🙂

• July 7, 2017 / 9:34 am

Oweee! Thank you so much Ang 💜☺️
      You are absolutely much too sweet.
      And I am so glad to have found YOU in this little adventure as well. 😍❤️

2. July 6, 2017 / 8:14 pm

Awww what a lovely post to read. But I don’t like it at all.

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! 😛

That Nikki is so smart. She actually spoke of what I live by in:

“The only cure to all this madness; is too dream, far and wide, if possibility doesn’t knock, create a damn door. If the shoe doesn’t fit, don’t make it. If the journey your travelling seems to far fetched and wild beyond your imagination; continue on it, great things come to the risk takers. And last but not least, live today; here, right now, you’ll thank your future self for it later. — Nikki Rowe”

Also, I’m glad for you switching to an outdoorsy person. Otherwise, how else will I get the privilege to communicate with a SUPERMODEL such as yourself and a professional photographer (Rhett! That’s one cool name)

Have fun this weekend. And you know what? Do a two-finger salute pose! 😛

• July 7, 2017 / 9:55 am

Hahaha. Oh. Little Jane. You and Nikki are both women after my own heart. ☺️💜

And stop it! You make me laugh.
      And I will be sure to do a two-finger salute for you baby doll. Watch this space. 😘😘

• July 7, 2017 / 10:24 pm

Yay!! I’ll be watching like a hawk!!

• July 9, 2017 / 2:49 pm

Okay .. so Jane .. *looks awkwardly back and forth* .. I have just arrived home after a trip away .. and I didn’t get you your shot!! 😫😫😫 I know .. I know! I am SORRY! 😖😖😖

• July 10, 2017 / 6:06 pm

😐 😐 😐
            It’s alright. It’s not that important to me. It’s not as if my watching the space intently was abnormal – alway checking every two hours and so.
            It’s completely alright, Lindy. Ccccoooommmmmpppppllleeettteeely.
            😀 😐

• July 11, 2017 / 6:03 am

Hahahahahah. Commmmmplettteeeeelllllyyyyy Love 💜

• July 11, 2017 / 6:28 pm

<3 <3 <3

• July 11, 2017 / 6:32 pm

I am deliberately sending horizontal hearts your way.

3. July 6, 2017 / 9:06 pm

I love this! I’m never truly happy until I’m out somewhere beautiful, breathing fresh air, enjoying nature and going on adventures.
    The quote ‘I felt my lungs inflate with the onrush of scenery – air, mountains, trees, people. I thought, ‘This is what it is to be happy.’ really spoke to me xx

• July 7, 2017 / 9:57 am

Oh I am so so glad to hear Violet 💜☺️
      I am definitely the same. And I can’t believe I’ve only just discovered this at 27-years-of-age! 😳
      But better late than never I suppose! ☺️

Here’s to an incredible, fresh and outdoor-sy weekend! 😍

4. July 6, 2017 / 9:31 pm

As usual your photos are absolutely stunning! A really lovely post. Me, I’m not so good with the outdoors being as clumsy as I am :P. Much better to stay indoors with a good book. However, I’m glad that you love the new lifestyle you have. It’s a wonderfully positive outlook.

• July 7, 2017 / 10:53 am

Haha Ashley! I am much the same to be completely honest! I am dangerously uncoordinated! 🤣🤣

But how good is a good book. What do you enjoy to read?
      I’m a pretty big fantasy fan myself!

Thank you so much for your beautiful, kind words. And lighting up my morning! ☺️☺️

• July 7, 2017 / 9:52 pm

Glad to know I’m not alone in my clumsiness! And yep, I’m definitely a massive fantasy fan too. It’s always good to go somewhere magical and exciting for a while.
        Aw, always happy to brighten someone’s day! 😊

5. July 7, 2017 / 12:01 am

So beautifully written (as usual)! I can totally relate to this post, I love getting outside and exploring and doing it with my hubby. We might not be the best at it but I love that we’re creating something together!

• July 7, 2017 / 12:54 pm

Yes! Absolutely! ☺️☺️
      I have often wondered who took your beautiful photos! ❤️😍

6. July 7, 2017 / 12:25 am

Such a great post Linda! I’m glad you’ve found such happiness. ❤️

7. July 7, 2017 / 12:43 am

I’m happy that the outdoors make you super happy. :p I really am jealous of all the weekend getaway that you and Rhett get to do!! <3

• July 7, 2017 / 12:56 pm

Haha, Thank you beautiful V! ☺️
      You’ll be doing them soon enough!
      It’s just a matter of getting in the car and driving a few hours up the road for us! So we are pretty lucky to have it all so accessible! ☺️😘❤️

8. July 7, 2017 / 12:50 am

Beautiful post Linda! I truly love seeing your photos and knowing the adventures you and Rhett have to get these amazing shots.

• July 7, 2017 / 12:58 pm

Awe! Thank you so much beautiful Pam! ☺️💜
      As I adore following you on your life adventures! 😍

9. July 7, 2017 / 1:34 am

Beautiful post! I absolutely agree with you! When I wrote my Eco-friendly resolutions on the blog, getting out more and enjoying nature was one of the 17 things I hoped to start on. I’m not an outdoorsy person either (I actually dread being out). But the thought of exploring nature now makes me so excited and I look forward to my next trip out. Perhaps it’s because the trees and mountains and waters won’t judge my weird introversion? Haha.
    Nonetheless, this whole habitual blogging thing does change people. We do have a say on which trajectory it’ll take us -the good path of self discovery and change or the terrible path of pride, envy and self destruction!
    This post is a reminder of the good things blogging has brought my way already!
    Woohooo 💃🏾

• July 7, 2017 / 1:01 pm

Absolutely Asaake! I honestly cannot recommend blogging enough. I am trying to get my family and friends involved (kind of working haha) – merely because there is so much to be gained from it! Like yourself, I had zero idea I was even capable of enjoying a hike or a mountain climb. It’s been amazing.

I love the path you have taken! And cannot wait to see where it takes you! And i would adore to see more of your country Asaake. So when you do go out. Don’t forget to take a few little snippets for me! 💜💜💜

• July 8, 2017 / 6:05 pm

I will, my dear! haah

10. July 7, 2017 / 3:33 am

I’m so glad you decided to become and outdoor-sy person, as you stated. Thanks to that, now thousands of people get inspired by your awesome adventures. It’s funny how the changes that we make inside of ourselves affect the world around us. Keep changing the world. Cheers!

• July 7, 2017 / 1:18 pm

Oh my goodness. 😳😳
      Thank YOU so so much.
      I have just screenshot-ted (even a word!?) your lovely comment. It’s honestly lifted my spirits by such an incredible amount. 💜☺️
      Thank you for entering my life. And engaging with me on a weekly basis. It has meant the world! 😍

• July 7, 2017 / 2:48 pm

You’re welcome 🙂 and thank you for being so generous with your talents 😉

• July 7, 2017 / 2:02 pm

Oh thank you so much Stac!
      I couldn’t have worded that better myself! 🙂🙂
      You are much, much too lovely!
      I’ll check it out! ☺️❤️

• July 7, 2017 / 3:52 pm

Most welcome… No worry.. Your articles are great and I thought of nominating you

11. July 7, 2017 / 4:58 am

As always, truly stunning photos, props to Rhett! Love reading what you had to say, it’s so true that despite having spent 1000’s of years perfecting our inside environment, from living in caves, to wooden houses, to brick, to all the varied and many things to do inside the home to make it enjoyable, to limit our need to ever step outside our front door. We are just as wild, and capable of living outside and purely off the land, as any other creature on this earth, a lot of us have just forsaken that truth 🙂 x

• July 7, 2017 / 2:06 pm

Sarah. Has anybody ever told you how utterly poetic you can be at times!? 💜☺️ I couldn’t agree with you more. And evidently, worded what you said better myself. And I just.. simply cannot believe how long it’s taken me to realize all this either. But happy to be out and about – immersing myself in it all now.

Any plans for this upcoming weekend miss? ☺️😘❤️

• July 8, 2017 / 7:27 am

Lol, no they have not, usually I’m stumbling over my words, even when I have to time to put real consideration into them I still feel like I don’t say what I meant to, but thank you 😉 coming from you that means a lot, I love the way you can make an otherwise simple sentence, interesting and really descriptive.
        If the weather holds nice on Sunday I’m hopefully going to be going to an open day at a (somewhat) local animal sanctuary, I went last year and it was a lovely outing, nothing better than being around and interact with animals, I think I surprised everyone when I came away without adopting all of them – it wasn’t without hardship I can tell you that 😉
        I hope you and Rhett have a lovely daycation where ever you’re going, I look forward to seeing the (no doubt) amazing photos 🙂 ♥

• July 9, 2017 / 2:59 pm

Thank you Sar! 😍
          Rhett and I just recently arrived back home.
          We are now frantically doing the chores – with Monday being around the corner. 😫😫

How was the sanctuary? You didn’t adopt any this time around did you? 😳😳
          Haha because if you did – photos palease!! 😁❤️

• July 10, 2017 / 2:58 am

Lol, no, my Oscar has been a bit ill this weekend so I didn’t want to take him, nor leave him behind unwell, so this weekend has been filled with short, slow walks and lots of fluffy cuddles, which minus the fear of him being ill is still enjoyable 🙂
            That’s why weekend’s should be 3 days long, two relaxing and one for all the stuff you need to do before the next week 😉 let’s start a petition x

• July 11, 2017 / 6:01 am

Yessss Sarah! Absolutely! 🙌🏽🙌🏽
            Doesn’t Switzerland or somewhere amazing currently benefit from that arrangement? Because regardless. You and I need to move there asap! Also. How is Oscar going now? 💜💜

• July 11, 2017 / 8:10 am

He’s okay, think he had been very agitated by stinging nettles and it was really feeling low because of it, but he does seek them out, silly boy 🙂
            Switzerland here we come 😉 💜

12. July 7, 2017 / 5:29 am

I love how your experience outdoors not only changed you as individuals, but also your relationship. The quotes you chose fit the rest of the text very well and the photos are as breathtaking as always <3

• July 7, 2017 / 2:07 pm

Nina! 💜☺️
      Thank you my wonderful flower child. 🌸
      I hope you have an incredible weekend on your side of the world. ❤️😘

13. July 10, 2017 / 1:20 am

Thanks for liking one of my posts and it is great to discover another Aussie in WPsphere. It’s funny how you mention that you never really enjoyed outdoors before, that was precisely my attitude before I started blogging. And “Accidental Adventurer” was thus born. 😊

• July 11, 2017 / 6:00 am