Minyon Falls, Nightcap National Park

Today, my little wombats, I am coming to you with a series of photos from a morning spent at the spectacular Minyon Falls. This 100-metre plunge waterfall is inconspicuously located in the heart of Nightcap National Park just 45-minutes west of Byron Bay and 2-and-a-half hours south of Brisbane. And boy-oh-boy, I don’t even possess the vocabulary to describe to you guys just how phenomenal it felt to stand at the base of such a gigantean waterfall. The sheer force and impressive scale of Minyon Falls was enough to render me completely wide-eyed and speechless. And for the first time in a long time, I felt a decent level of hesitancy to go beyond the 15 or so metres from where I stood.

In terms of getting to Minyon Falls itself, the drive was nothing short of aesthetically stunning and the road itself proved relatively inoffensive. But in saying that, I probably wouldn’t recommend taking on these roads in a low-profile vehicle; a lesson Rhett and I quickly and very painfully learnt as we were confronted with pot-hole after pot-hole and metre-long rut after metre-long rut.

And something else that I feel is worth noting: there exists two walking tracks that will get you to the base of Minyon Falls. The first option is a 4 to 5 hour return hike – otherwise known as the Minyon Loop Walking Track – and is estimated to be approximately 7.5 kilometres in distance. Which is a considerable effort in my kind-of-lazy-person opinion, and I don’t care how beautiful or worthwhile the walk might turn out to be. So with that being said, I have some fantastic news! The second track, the one that begins at ‘Minyon Grass Picnic Area’, is less than half the distance of the first route and shouldn’t take more than 2-hours to complete. And yes, it absolutely goes without saying which path Rhett and I chose to take. Hehe.

So, unfortunately I can only really speak of my experience walking the second-and-substantially-much-shorter track. But I am pleased to report that this walk proved fairly pain-free with the majority of the path being clearly defined and well-worn. However, that level of comfort did abruptly stop once we arrived to the last leg of the track (approx. 5 to 10-minutes from the waterfall’s base) where Rhett and I found ourselves scrambling up and over slippery rock surfaces, crawling under fallen tree branches and playing spot-the-tiny-red-arrows with the marksman focus of trying our hardest not to get lost. Which was actually pretty fun. And all-in-all, I would have to say that the walk to Minyon Falls has quickly become one of my all-time favourites. Because despite the scramble towards the end and the strenuous hike back up, the sweeping panoramic views and the almost ethereal natural environment that seemed to shroud our every footstep, made all our efforts feel utterly worthwhile.

In summary, should anybody find themselves within a 100-km radius of this area, I honestly cannot recommend taking a trip to Minyon Falls enough. The grandeur and sheer scale of this phenomenal landmark had Rhett and I craning our necks back and even with our best efforts, we were just unable to capture a photo that did this waterfall a sliver of justice. Minyon Falls is, without a doubt, one sight that simply needs to be seen in person. And I have no doubt that Rhett and I will be returning with our friends and family in tow.

Once again, I hope you guys enjoyed coming along with me on yet another Queensland-based adventure and I hope that everybody had an incredible weekend or weekday! πŸ™‚

1. July 11, 2017 / 6:17 am

Thank you Linda and Rhett for sharing your amazing experience at Minyon Falls. The photographs capture so much of the essence I’m sure is felt when actually being present in this wanderous natural environment.
    Blesings βœŒπŸΌπŸŒΈπŸ™πŸΌ
    onyx-

• July 12, 2017 / 5:56 am

Oh. Natasha. To hear from you is turning out to be an absolute pleasure! β˜ΊοΈπŸ’œ Thank you so much for saying so. I have passed on your kind words to Rhett. I’m sure this will make his Wednesday morning! Hehe. 🀣🀣

2. July 11, 2017 / 6:18 am

Wow. This view is absolutely breathtaking!

• July 12, 2017 / 5:56 am

Owe! As always V – thanks babe! πŸ’œβ˜ΊοΈ

3. July 11, 2017 / 6:49 am

How beautiful!! ❀️

4. July 11, 2017 / 7:54 am

Great post and stunning photographs. Thank you for sharing, Australia is on my list of places I really want to travel to, and you have made me want to visit even more so I can see these beautiful falls for myself.

Emma x

• July 12, 2017 / 5:58 am

Thank you so much for saying Emma! πŸ’œβ˜ΊοΈ
      I am starting to realize more and more that we Aussies are pretty blessed. πŸ™ŠπŸ™Š
      Do you have any similar places around your neck of the woods!? πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

• July 12, 2017 / 6:47 am

You’re welcome Linda πŸ™‚ There are some beautiful waterfalls here in the UK, they’re mostly in the North of England, so a couple hours drive for me.
        Emma x

5. July 11, 2017 / 9:43 am

That waterfall is pure misty mountain magic. It’s mythical. Really great pictures. Cheers!

• July 12, 2017 / 6:00 am

😲😲 That is EXACTLY how I should have described these waterfalls – ‘misty mountain magic’ – I am pocketing that little gem for next time! 🀣🀣

As always – thank you!! ☺️☺️

6. July 11, 2017 / 10:03 am

Wow! The waterfall looks amazing! Photos are lovely as always!

• July 12, 2017 / 6:01 am

Thanks beautiful Pam! πŸ’œβ˜ΊοΈ
      I have passed on your compliments to the photographer! 😘🀣
      Do you have anything similar around your area!? πŸ’œ

• July 12, 2017 / 6:42 am

I think we have little waterfalls but nothing like that! I remember seeing a little one at a park called Starved Rock but it’s pretty far from me.

7. July 11, 2017 / 10:32 am

I can feel the spray on my face. What a place to scramble your way to! The reward stares you in the face. Stunning photos, Linda! xx

• July 12, 2017 / 6:03 am

Yes it does! And quite literally, this waterfall did spray anybody that got within a 10-km radius! Haha. 🀣🀣

Thank YOU so much lovely. I am sure you have plenty to see around your area! Do you have any recommendations I could check out? ☺️☺️

Also – how was your weekend!? πŸ’œβ˜ΊοΈ

• July 12, 2017 / 6:20 am

Ah the weekend was heavy on the back. Our shipment arrived from the UK on Saturday noon and we were slitting open some 40 tall boxes – while ruing the fact that we have accumulated way too much during our travels! Just about yesterday we kind of managed to put some order to the chaos.

In my area, we have not even started doing any research, Linda! Setting up home is such a slow process. But we do plan to buy a car and go about exploring the countryside. We realise that owning a car is essential to retaining our sanity (which has much to do with getting out into the great outdoors) xx

8. Keri Elaine
    July 11, 2017 / 12:17 pm

These photos are magical Linda. After the 91 degree day today, I wish I could dive into that water hahaha!

• July 12, 2017 / 6:05 am

Haha. Keri. I got to tell you. This water had to be 0 degrees celsius. It was freezing cold and I’m pretty sure, if I had stayed any longer, I would have lost a toe! 🀣🀣

I am so jealous of your warm day. I would give anything for a little bit of warmth right now. πŸ’œβ˜ΊοΈ

• July 12, 2017 / 6:06 am

Thank you Lauren! β˜ΊοΈπŸ’œ

9. July 11, 2017 / 4:23 pm

These photos have literally left me speechless! Another stunning find you guys!! πŸ˜€ <3

• July 12, 2017 / 6:08 am

Thanks lovely! ☺️☺️
      I have been having a sneaky little looksie at NZ lately. Potential honeymoon destination for the end of the year. So I’ll be hitting you up for a bucket list soon my love!! πŸ’œβ˜ΊοΈ

• July 12, 2017 / 7:26 am

Ooh yes!!! That would be awesome, there’s so many gorgeous spots all over the country πŸ˜„

10. July 11, 2017 / 11:42 pm

Not done the falls but have done a couple of hikes in the Nightcaps over towards the Nimbin end. Will deffo put the falls on the itinerary for a future visit though. Looks awesome.

• July 12, 2017 / 6:09 am

Was awesome! Do you have any other recommendations around that area? Have you hiked mount warning before? I’m debating – but unsure. ☺️

• July 13, 2017 / 4:05 am

Can’t remember haw many times but I would guess I’ve climbed Mt Warning about 20 times – ish. I have spent a lot of my Oz time in Murwillumbah and would absirlootly 199% recommend you put it at the top of your ‘to do’ list but wait until it gets warmer and the days get a bit longer – also make sure it’s not cloudy coz you won’t see zilch at the top if it is!

• July 14, 2017 / 5:36 am

Hahah! 20 times! Hoooley Dooley. And I am yet to climb it once! 🀣🀣 I will most definitely be making that a priority.

• July 14, 2017 / 8:31 pm

Not sure if anyone’s ever done a fashion shoot up there before!

• July 16, 2017 / 1:00 pm

First for everything! 😝

• July 16, 2017 / 3:17 pm

Another fashion shoot suggestion @ Murwillumbah – using the Treasures of the Tweed mural as a backdrop & the toilets too – they all have rainforest scenes painted on them backdrop. Don’t forget to check out the street art @ the skate part and on the wall the other side of the Treasures of the Tweed mural. Another future location – Byron Bay lighthouse

• July 18, 2017 / 7:55 pm

Yep! Have added all the above – aside from the Byron Bay Lighthouse all to my bucket lists! ☺️☺️

Also – I have officially climbed Mount Beerwah!! 🀣🀣
            Not going to lie, almost died. Pretty scary. Almost vertical on the incline – but well worth the effort! Didn’t get many photos as we were racing against the clock to get down. Also ran into a carpet python dead smack in the middle of the track! He was a curious one as well. Literally headed towards us!

• July 18, 2017 / 10:06 pm

Got some pix of a carpet python that appeared at the Mbah YHA hostel one day.

• July 16, 2017 / 4:18 pm

… oops! it seems you’ve already done Byron Bay!

• July 13, 2017 / 4:14 am

If / as / when you do Murwillumbah I recommend the YHA Hostel. It is in a great location and ha fabulous views of Mt Warning. If you go to my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/gkgl50 the cover photo was taken from the YHA balcony / verandah or whatever it’s called. BTW Tassie, the owner / manager is a mate of mine and a really nice bloke. There ya go. Phone him on 02 6672 3763 to make a booking – only a limited number of private rooms so best to book in advance if you want to go at the weekend as it’s popular weekend retreat for the Brissie lot!

• July 14, 2017 / 5:37 am

Thank you for the contact! πŸ™‚πŸ™‚
          That’s really helpful! I might see if I can get down there in the next month. I’d rather scramble against the sun than contend with the warmer foot traffic! Any thoughts about potentially catching a sunset/sunrise up Mount Warning? πŸ™‚

• July 14, 2017 / 8:30 pm

Never done the sunrise / sunset but lots of people do it. People can be a pain because they make too much noise and you don’t get to experience the sounds of nature etc – particularly at weekends which is which is whi I always tend to avoid going up then – the luxury of being a tourist means I can choose the most convenient time so you are probably better off doing a winter climb. If you go up early in the day then you will have sufficient time to do the return trip without having to worry too much about daylight

• July 16, 2017 / 12:59 pm

Yeah. Rhett and I feel you on that front. We make a pretty big effort to get to our locations just after sunrise – if and when we can’t make it before sunrise – just to minimise foot traffic and the .. obstruction to the ambience. This weekend, whilst on a rainforest walk, we had a lady, screeching/singing at the top of her lungs throughout our whole trek. It was downright unpleasant.

• July 13, 2017 / 4:26 am

Ref Mt Warning: the first time I climbed it I was in my 40’s and it took about 2 hours. Last year @ age 62 it took 2 and a half hours! The first time I went I din’t have a car so I got a ride out with a super fit young Swiss bloke who RAN up in 47 minutes. You see quite a few people doing that. The fittest bloke I’ve ever met are the national parks maintenance people who sometimes climb up and down several times a day!

• July 14, 2017 / 5:39 am

Excellent. I will aim for 2 hours. Is that 2 hours .. back and forth? Or just one way?

And … 47 minutes!! 😳😳😳
          Haha. That is very, very, very impressive!

Do you have any other recommendations. Whilst I have you hear being so helpful! Have you tried Mt Beerwah/Tibro? πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

• July 14, 2017 / 8:20 pm

2 hours up, last section is very steep and you have to pull yourself up on chains fixed to the rocks – take food / water and stay up the top for a while and admire the views. A bit quicker coming back down.

• July 16, 2017 / 12:57 pm

Oh! Good to know. Absolutely. Next weekend I think. I’ll keep you posted. 2 hours up is a lot better than I had first anticipated! πŸ™‚

11. July 12, 2017 / 7:44 am

Oh my goodness!! Breathtaking through photos cannot imagine what it felt like to stand so close by to such a powerful force. Your beauty compliments natures so very well. Love the dress and your beautiful locks ~ x

• July 13, 2017 / 7:45 am

Haha V – you are all over my blog today. And I absolutely LOVE it! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I will have to waddle over to Victorialisedotcom and litter my love all over your space myself! 😊😊

Thanks for saying babe – as always – and lighting up my life with your kind words and encouragements. πŸ’›πŸ’›

• July 13, 2017 / 10:45 am

I had much catching up to do as I was away for a bit! Always, always a pleasure! Xx

12. July 12, 2017 / 11:43 pm

This is absolutely breathtaking!!!! I can imagine myself there… resting, taking it all in, and embracing the peace and serenity! That dress is gorgeous, my fellow dress lover! You’re stunning.

• July 13, 2017 / 7:47 am

Hehe. Thanks so much babe! As always! πŸ’›
      It was breathtaking – absolutely would recommend a visit when you do get down here (hint, hint). But as for peace and serenity – maybe not. Considering that my ass almost blew straight off that rock! Haha. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• July 13, 2017 / 2:50 pm

I always wanted to come to Aussie for medical school! You make me want to rethink that decision πŸ™