3 Life Lessons I Have Learnt

As the days start to feel like hours and the weeks begin to blur, I find myself acutely aware that I am now mere months away from my 28th birthday. The fleeting time serving as a stark reminder that I am well and truly neck-deep into adulthood, having long said goodbye to the days free of insurance, mortgage repayments, and full-time employment. And I am finding this stark reality increasingly difficult to ignore, despite my sportsmanlike attempts. But, as I move towards begrudging acceptance, I have found myself reflecting on my journey thus far, to who I am today and the many life lessons I have collected along the way. So for today’s post, I thought I would share my top 3 learnings from my almost-30-year career of existence and whilst doing so, share a suite of highly treasured, but completely unrelated photos from my year so far.

1.  It’s On You to Create Your Own Opportunities.

Which seems painfully obvious, but for me, grasping this basic concept actually took a lot longer than I’d care to admit. Because for a very long while, I didn’t really feel the need to make things happen for myself, being somewhat content with the traditional life trajectory I had chosen of university and full-time employment. And so, all throughout my early twenties I can’t say that I pushed the envelope in the way of achieving much else other than the completion of my degree and securing employment.

But I have come a long way since the days of blind conformity to the status quo. And now, with 3-years of full-time employment, 2 career changes and a mortgage under my belt, I guess you could say that I have become considerably more pragmatic with my approach to life and have come to appreciate the astronomical amount of hard-work and dedication that, more often than not, will sit behind a person’s good fortune. So to sum up my long-winded rambling, time and experience has shown me that if I feel entitled to a pay rise, I need to fight for it, if the life I am leading is not the one I expected, I’m the one that has to change it, and if I dream of ever blogging full-time, I damn well better get started. Because nothing in life comes for free and nobody, no matter how much they love, or care, or support me, should be expected to save me from my own circumstances.

“Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don’t recognise them.” – Ann Landers

2.  Comparing Yourself To Others Is The Killer Of Dreams.

Amen. Comparison is the number one thief of joy. Well, my joy anyway. And too often do I find myself sinking hours and hours into weighing my achievements and creative content against that of other Bloggers, and Instagrammers, and established Influencers. Just the thought of the  insurmountable time I have wasted, allowing myself to dwell in negativity and feelings of inadequacy, is nothing short of shameful. A useless waste of time. And time that could have been better spent offline, or invested in me, or better yet, working on actually improving my projects.

But alas, to actively follow the latter, more sensible path is definitively easier said than done. And to expect anybody to be able to simply switch off self-criticism and doubt whilst being brows-deep in a society governed by falsities and flooded with talented storytellers is, in my opinion, pretty unrealistic.

So I guess, for me, as somebody that is still trying to work it out for herself and build enough courage and confidence up unto a point that the above no longer matters, I have found myself interim solutions. And what might these be? Well, nothing ground-breaking I assure you. But by simply reducing my social media consumption, and talking nonsense with a few friends, and generally taking a step away (or fifteen) to immerse myself in all that I should be grateful for, has helped me considerably to maintain my cool, and almost always, keep my goals on course.

“Other people’s lives seem better than yours because you’re comparing their director’s cuts with your behind the scenes.” ― Evan Rauch

3.  Negatively Commenting on Others Reflects Poorly on Your Character.

This one pretty much goes without saying. When I talk smack about another person, it more often than not, will reflect my own insecurities, or jealousies, or simply, my lack of understanding. Which sucks, because as a teenager, I had done my fair share of bitching, and backstabbing, and judging of others. An admittance that I am neither proud of or wish to delve into any further. But as I’ve aged, and I would like to think, have grown considerably wiser and more empathetic, I’ve largely said goodbye to my days of unsolicited commentary and highschool-like pettiness, having since come to understand the painful and unnecessary hurt that comes with being the subject of unwarranted bullying and ridicule. And so these days, should I find that I have nothing nice to say, I try my level-best not to go polluting the universe with my negativity, or more probably, foul mood by simply choosing not to say anything at all.

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.” ― Leo F. Buscaglia

Once again, my little wombats, that’s it from me today and as always, I hope you enjoyed reading and getting to know me that little bit better. And if you guys have anything to add or build-upon on today’s thoughts, I would love to hear your point of view, and your stories, and any teachings that you may have to offer.

1. July 13, 2017 / 10:32 pm

You literally spoke my mind especially on creating opportunities for yourself! We all mostly grew up believing opputinities come to us and so many of us relax waiting for it. If I could go back in time I’d definitely do way more than I did! So much time wasted “waiting” and following her traditional path. But regrets don’t help. Lesson learned.

• July 14, 2017 / 5:49 am

Yes! Absolutely Asaake! 😳
      Could not agree with you more.
      If I could go back in time and slap university student Linda around a bit. I would. Because she, she was a brat! 🙊🙊

• July 14, 2017 / 3:13 pm

hahaha I could see her being a brat.

2. July 14, 2017 / 12:09 am

Right on for #2. I keep telling people that. They just have to quit comparing themselves to others. It’s a disease.

• July 14, 2017 / 5:51 am

Haha V. That is an excellent word for it. A ‘disease’. 🙌🏽🙌🏽

3. July 14, 2017 / 1:21 am

Brilliant. So true, so insightful, so mature from one so young <3

• July 14, 2017 / 5:52 am

Thanks Jack 😀
      Haha, that is by far, the sweetest compliment I have received! 🙂🙂

4. July 14, 2017 / 4:20 am

I genuinely believe you have great and big stuff coming to you! Just keep doing what you’re doing, working hard and being your authentic self ♥

• July 14, 2017 / 5:57 am

Ohhh. Sar, you are so sweet. 😲
      Thank you, my dear English cherub. 💜
      And I believe all the same for you.
      The world needs more supporters, and lovers, and creatives like yourself 🙏🏽☺️😘

5. July 14, 2017 / 4:55 am

Amen to not comparing yourself to others – whenever I’m trying to coach my team or they ask me for career advice at work, I’m always having to tell them to stop obsessing about others – how much they get paid, how fast they’ve progressed, what opportunities they get. Everyone’s journey is their own, trying to emulate someone else’s won’t get you anywhere. They key thing is to feel happy with the road you are on yourself and where you’re going – everyone reaches the end at different speeds!

• July 14, 2017 / 7:12 am

Absolutely Steph! I couldn’t agree more! 💜
      But that’s the hardest part of it all isn’t it … being happy and confident enough to not worry about what everybody else is doing. We all definitely have a ways to go in terms of working on ourselves. 💛 but with people like you out there, inspiring and giving sound advice to your team and colleagues, that’s a big step in the right direction! ☺️☺️

• July 14, 2017 / 10:35 pm

Ha, yes, I’m much better at giving that advice than following it myself unfortunately! x

6. July 14, 2017 / 4:57 am

You are a wise one, Linda. All your points are so well thought out. No. 2 is crucial to leading a life of contentment. And creating opportunities – it is such an important advise. It reminds me to get on with my projects and stop dawdling over things.

• July 14, 2017 / 7:17 am

Haha. Awe! ❤️ Thanks so much lovely 😳🙊
      And yes, we need to just keep on going. And go for gold – despite the odds. Because letting our own self doubt get the better of us, capping our potential, is simply not an option! 💜

7. July 14, 2017 / 12:10 pm

I love the message behind this post. Those quotes that you chose really hit home. Thanks for inspiring me once again. Cheers!

• July 16, 2017 / 12:56 pm

So sorry for the .. very delayedddd response! 😭
      I’ve dropped the ball this weekend – with in-laws visiting and such!

As always – you are absolutely much too sweet! But I adore receiving comments from you! They make all my efforts feel so worthwhile! 💜😊

8. July 14, 2017 / 3:40 pm

True words there Linda! Especially not comparing yourself to others. It’s just so easy to do that, and it takes constant energy to remind yourself not to, and to be happy with what you have. We’re all still growing up and constantly learning and trying to better ourselves 🙂

• July 16, 2017 / 12:57 pm

Thanks babe! And that’s exactly right.
      We are all just trying to figure this .. Life thing all out! I’m not sure there are many people out there that have it sorted! 💜😊

9. July 14, 2017 / 8:35 pm

28? A mere beginner! I don’t know if kids feature in your life in the future, but they change *everything*. If they don’t, it’s not for me to comment. The life that you are leading is not the one that you expected, you say. So do most people. The crucial thing is to enjoy it WHATEVER happens. That is the key to happiness. Love the photos.

• July 16, 2017 / 1:01 pm

Thanks lovely. What kind, wise words. 💜
      I am really looking forward to having children.
      And whatever else that brings! 😊

10. July 15, 2017 / 8:47 am

Great points, very true for every person.

11. July 15, 2017 / 9:07 pm

What a powerful message! I like the way you are able to explain this and write it down. And oh, thanks for your like on my article 🙂
    Much love.

• July 16, 2017 / 1:08 pm

No worries Jen! My absolute pleasure! And thanks for reading mine and for your kind words! 😊💜

12. July 15, 2017 / 10:14 pm

What a great post, and I agree with all of it. I wish I had been as insightful at 28. It took me a few more years to even grow up properly! 😄

• July 16, 2017 / 1:10 pm

Oh! 🙊 Thank you so much. ❤️
      That’s really nice of you to say!
      And It’s so lovely to know that I’m on the right track! 😊💜

13. Keri Elaine
    July 16, 2017 / 11:25 am

I completely agree with you about creating your own opportunities. It reminds me of the, “be the change you wish to see in the world quote”. Keep up the beautiful work Linda!

14. July 26, 2017 / 9:18 am

Good post. Are you following n.3? 🙂

Could you tell more about the career changes you had?

• July 26, 2017 / 8:23 pm

Hello! Haha. Thank you. And thanks for stopping by!
      And yes! I try my best to follow number 3. I do have my days where I fail. But all I can do is try my hardest! ☺️

Well, long story short. 5 years worth of degree, 2 years worth of full-time work in a field that was completely unrelated to my tertiary studies and then just recently started from the bottom again in another industry.

Have you had any career changes? 🤔

• July 26, 2017 / 8:27 pm

Interesting… What did you study? I think it happens often since at that tender age it’s not always easy to understand where you can be good, and you’re not the same person when you’re 27 and 17. I’ve studied 2 times at the university but never finished it (I felt it wasn’t right thing for me), and then I started to work in hospitality.

• July 27, 2017 / 7:25 pm

Chemical Engineering and Business Management 🤣🤣 – I hear you re: studying. And even when you do finish your degree, how many people here can say that they actually use it? Do you think you will stay within hospitality?

• July 27, 2017 / 10:46 pm

Well, you can say that both require deep analytical abilities :))) Yes, I think so!

15. July 30, 2017 / 1:02 pm

So true Linda.
    I have really enjoyed reading your beautiful posts and being totally envious of your jaw dropping photography (don’t compare Liz, its not nice..!
    Thank you for making my chosen reading times so enjoyable,
    Liz xx

• August 1, 2017 / 6:07 am

Liz! Thank YOU for stopping by, reading and not only commenting but being so kind and encouraging! ☺️😍
      I hope you are having a wonderful day! 💜💜

• August 2, 2017 / 7:16 am

Thank you Liz! ☺️
          I hope you have a great couple of weeks! 💛