It’s been a while since I last posted and without sounding like a total drama queen, I feel like I have dropped the ball on this virtual space of mine. But as far as excuses go, I have accrued quite the running list. Because aside from the usual uphill battle that comes with maintaining a household and full-time work, July has seen me not only finalise my wedding invitations and guest list but Rhett and I playing hosts to a few of our family and friends.
So, as is the way with busy months, I have subsequently fallen behind. In all facets of my life. Whether it’d be work related, or about the wedding, or this blog, or my health, or my ever-growing pile of laundry, you name it. I am behind, behind, behind. And as much as it pains me to concede to my disorganization, I have come to a point where a blogging break has become utterly necessary. Therefore, as of today, I will be going on a 2-week hiatus and will return on Tuesday, the 15th of August, 2017.
Now that I have that out of the way, welcome to August my tiny travel wombats. We are officially knee-deep into the second half of the year and 4.5 months away from my wedding day, and my 28th birthday, and Christmas Day, and the holidays, and all things that make life good and wholesome. And if that weren’t enough, I am amazed and delighted to announce that Olive and Clo is now a wonderful 6 months old! A stellar effort, if you were to ask little old me. And one that I am absolutely proud of. Whoop!
So without further ado, here is another ‘Month under the Microscope’ instalment, where I reflect on my accomplishments and share some of my favorite photos from the previous month and set goals for the next month. And for all those who are interested, the links to my previous entries are as follows: March, April, May, June.
July in Review:
- Rhett and I climbed Mount Beerwah. The highest volcanic plug in the Glass House Mountains range standing at 556 metres tall. This was a massive achievement. Climbing to the summit of Mount Beerwah involved about 2 hours worth of free-climbing (aka ledge gripping with fingers, toes, knees and elbows) and the stomaching of abrupt vertical drops and overcoming my general dislike for heights. By the time Rhett and I reached the summit, the sun was well and truly setting and so unfortunately, we were unable to capture any decent photos (aside from the sneaky iPhone snippets down below). Regardless, it was an astronomical effort and something that I am really proud of and will be conquering again very soon.
- Climbed/scrambled up the 446 metre tall Mount Coroora in the town of Pomona. This climb seemed like nothing compared to Mount Beerwah, with a slightly more forgiving elevation profile but in my opinion, no less dangerous. For this adventure, Rhett and I managed to stay for sunset before slowly and safely sliding/ crab-crawling our way back down to the base.
- Spent a weekend at Byron Bay which included a hike/scramble to Minyon Falls, Killen Falls, and Whites Beach.
- Rhett and I had our car serviced, which included the replacement of 2 tyres, a wheel alignment and a transmission mount (or so I’ve been told haha). It was a painful chore but a necessary one.
- Finally got my hair dyed and trimmed after harbouring 6-months’ worth of grotesque re-growth.
- Enjoyed an incredible weekend with my sister-in-law and her fiancé, and another weekend well-spent with my mother- and father-in-law.
- Other notable moments included:
- An 8-km return hike to the beautiful Elabana Falls in Lamington National Park, and
- A sunrise spent on top of the BlackFellow Falls in Springbrook National Park.
- Finalised the wedding guest-list and invitation suite. And yes, I am absolutely in love with the end result.
- Scheduled for a wedding-dress fitting and have started a playlist for the ceremony.
- Hmm. Not a lot to report on this front. I guess .. I am still employed. Which is always a win! LOL.
- Kind-of adhered to my 3-day blogging schedule with 12 posts published for the month of July.
- Wrote 2 in-depth articles: 3 Life Lessons I have Learnt and My Relationship with the Outdoors.
- Had 6 photos re-grammed on Instagram by @igersgoldcoast, @destinationgoldcoast, @visitsunshinecoast and @travelqld.
Goals for August:
- Maintain a relatively healthy diet.
- Rigorously save, save, save. Rhett and I were hit with a few unforeseen expenses this month which included a car service, new tyres, and a speeding fine (I know, I know – terrible).
- Commence blogging again as of the 15th of August, maintaining a 2 to 3 posts per week blogging schedule. And on that note, be okay with the inevitable decline in stats and reduced engagement.
Goals for the Rest of 2017:
- Get married. And go on a Honeymoon.
- Go on the below micro-adventures (or attempt to):
- Sunset at Mount Barney in Maroon National Park;
- Sunrise at the Balancing Boulder in Girraween National Park;
- Return to Noosa and visit the Fairy Pools and Hells Gate Caves;
- Return to Byron Bay to visit the Whites Beach Caves and enjoy a golden sunset picnic in the Hinterlands;
- Experience the Protesters Falls in Springbrook National Park; and,
- Spend a long weekend in the Blue Mountains, NSW.
And that about sums me up for another instalment of Under the Microscope. Once again, I must apologise for my absence as of late. There really is no excuse. But moving forward, I have returned (kind-of) and eager to get back into it. And despite now going on a 2-week blogging break, I will still be active on Instagram and on all your blogs, getting myself reacquainted with your lives and stories and adventures. So until my next post, stay safe and have fun!
Love Linda, xo