July Under the Microscope

It’s been a while since I last posted and without sounding like a total drama queen, I feel like I have dropped the ball on this virtual space of mine. But as far as excuses go, I have accrued quite the running list. Because aside from the usual uphill battle that comes with maintaining a household and full-time work, July has seen me not only finalise my wedding invitations and guest list but Rhett and I playing hosts to a few of our family and friends.

So, as is the way with busy months, I have subsequently fallen behind. In all facets of my life. Whether it’d be work related, or about the wedding, or this blog, or my health, or my ever-growing pile of laundry, you name it. I am behind, behind, behind. And as much as it pains me to concede to my disorganization, I have come to a point where a blogging break has become utterly necessary. Therefore, as of today, I will be going on a 2-week hiatus and will return on Tuesday, the 15th of August, 2017.

Now that I have that out of the way, welcome to August my tiny travel wombats. We are officially knee-deep into the second half of the year and 4.5 months away from my wedding day, and my 28th birthday, and Christmas Day, and the holidays, and all things that make life good and wholesome. And if that weren’t enough, I am amazed and delighted to announce that Olive and Clo is now a wonderful 6 months old! A stellar effort, if you were to ask little old me. And one that I am absolutely proud of. Whoop!

So without further ado, here is another ‘Month under the Microscope’ instalment, where I reflect on my accomplishments and share some of my favorite photos from the previous month and set goals for the next month. And for all those who are interested, the links to my previous entries are as follows: MarchApril, May, June.

July in Review:
Personal Achievements:

• Rhett and I climbed Mount Beerwah. The highest volcanic plug in the Glass House Mountains range standing at 556 metres tall. This was a massive achievement. Climbing to the summit of Mount Beerwah involved about 2 hours worth of free-climbing (aka ledge gripping with fingers, toes, knees and elbows) and the stomaching of abrupt vertical drops and overcoming my general dislike for heights. By the time Rhett and I reached the summit, the sun was well and truly setting and so unfortunately, we were unable to capture any decent photos (aside from the sneaky iPhone snippets down below). Regardless, it was an astronomical effort and something that I am really proud of and will be conquering again very soon.
  • Climbed/scrambled up the 446 metre tall Mount Coroora in the town of Pomona. This climb seemed like nothing compared to Mount Beerwah, with a slightly more forgiving elevation profile but in my opinion, no less dangerous. For this adventure, Rhett and I managed to stay for sunset before slowly and safely sliding/ crab-crawling our way back down to the base.
  • Spent a weekend at Byron Bay which included a hike/scramble to Minyon Falls, Killen Falls, and Whites Beach.
  • Rhett and I had our car serviced, which included the replacement of 2 tyres, a wheel alignment and a transmission mount (or so I’ve been told haha). It was a painful chore but a necessary one.
  • Finally got my hair dyed and trimmed after harbouring 6-months’ worth of grotesque re-growth.
  • Enjoyed an incredible weekend with my sister-in-law and her fiancé, and another weekend well-spent with my mother- and father-in-law.
  • Other notable moments included:
    • An 8-km return hike to the beautiful Elabana Falls in Lamington National Park, and
    • A sunrise spent on top of the BlackFellow Falls in Springbrook National Park.

Wedding Achievements:

• Finalised the wedding guest-list and invitation suite. And yes, I am absolutely in love with the end result.
  • Scheduled for a wedding-dress fitting and have started a playlist for the ceremony.

Professional Achievements:

• Hmm. Not a lot to report on this front. I guess .. I am still employed. Which is always a win! LOL.

Blogging Achievements:

Goals for August:

• Maintain a relatively healthy diet.
  • Rigorously save, save, save. Rhett and I were hit with a few unforeseen expenses this month which included a car service, new tyres, and a speeding fine (I know, I know – terrible).
  • Commence blogging again as of the 15th of August, maintaining a 2 to 3 posts per week blogging schedule. And on that note, be okay with the inevitable decline in stats and reduced engagement.

Goals for the Rest of 2017:

• Get married. And go on a Honeymoon.
  • Go on the below micro-adventures (or attempt to):
    • Sunset at Mount Barney in Maroon National Park;
    • Sunrise at the Balancing Boulder in Girraween National Park;
    • Return to Noosa and visit the Fairy Pools and Hells Gate Caves;
    • Return to Byron Bay to visit the Whites Beach Caves and enjoy a golden sunset picnic in the Hinterlands;
    • Experience the Protesters Falls in Springbrook National Park; and,
    • Spend a long weekend in the Blue Mountains, NSW.

And that about sums me up for another instalment of Under the Microscope. Once again, I must apologise for my absence as of late. There really is no excuse. But moving forward, I have returned (kind-of) and eager to get back into it. And despite now going on a 2-week blogging break, I will still be active on Instagram and on all your blogs, getting myself reacquainted with your lives and stories and adventures. So until my next post, stay safe and have fun!

1. August 1, 2017 / 6:29 am

I think a break is a great idea Linda, even if it’s just taking a break from one or two of your responsibilities, the two weeks will fly by! I planned my sisters wedding; all kinds of stressful excitement and doing everything else you’ve been doing is bound to become draining. Maybe put the time that you’d normally put into blogging into some TLC. See you in two weeks 😉

• August 2, 2017 / 7:14 am

I think that is a wonderful idea Sarah! 💛 Some TLC is very much needed. Been behind for much too long now! 😔

You planned your sisters wedding!? 🙂 That would have helped her wonders! When was that? You’ll have to link me to a post with photos from the wedding (if available of course!) – were you a bridesmaid!? ❤️😍

• August 2, 2017 / 9:13 am

Yeah, I was enlisted 😊 it was April 2016, I don’t have a blog post on it although I keep thinking about writing one, but in the same way that planning a wedding is a bit hectic and all over the place I don’t really know where to start with the post 😊
        I was maid of honour – don’t know why that distinction is important to me but it is lol 😋

• August 3, 2017 / 5:54 am

LOL! ☺️
          It is important. ❤️
          Oh. Well if you do decide to write one up. I would love to read about your tips and tricks! And lessons learnt! ☺️❤️

• August 16, 2017 / 5:20 am

Hey, hope your break is going well 🙂 I am nominating you for the Sunshine Blogger Award, the post goes up tomorrow, I have linked your blog in it but just in case you don’t get a notification 🙂 I’m not sure if you do these but wanted to nominate you for it either way 🙂

2. August 1, 2017 / 6:52 am

It’s already tomorrow where you live. Seems like the stress is getting to you, stress is good but too much of it not so much. I think and maybe you should ISOLATE yourself from social media for a while; till after the two weeks. Happy Vacation. See you in two weeks.

• August 2, 2017 / 7:17 am

That is a fantastic idea Moses! 🙂 A social media detox would really help my cause. Instagram is such a time suck! I hope you have a great two weeks yourself with minimal stress! 🙂

3. August 1, 2017 / 6:54 am

For your “Goals for the Rest of 2017” I say AMEN to that. 🙂

4. August 1, 2017 / 7:58 am

I’m glad you’re taking a break Linda, I know you’ve been finding it hard staying on top of blog, on top of everything else. I hope your break is productive and you have a good rest 😀
    By the way, Mount Beerwah looks insane!! You guys climbed that?? That is an incredible achievement!!

• August 2, 2017 / 7:19 am

Hey Angela Baby! ☺️❤️ New home owner extraordinaire! 😍

Thank you my love – much, much needed. And well over due! And yes! Rhett and I totally climbed/crawled/almost died up Mount Beerwah! It was fantastic! But yeah … a little Life endangering … to say the least! Haha 💛💚

5. August 1, 2017 / 9:52 am

Your lovely photos always remind me of just how small we are in comparison to our big beautiful world. Cheers!

• August 2, 2017 / 7:22 am

Awe! And your comments remind me of how kind and supportive people can be! 💛 Thank you. As always.!🙏🙂

6. August 1, 2017 / 2:22 pm

Incredible accomplishments and a wondrous list of adventures under your belt just in July! Bravo for getting so much done in such a hectic time. Good time to take a break and soak up what you can before your wedding day and honeymoon, so much to look forward to! When is your wedding?

I am with you on trying to balance it all! My goodness I can’t believe how tired I am and still so much to do, lol. I’m shocked I’ve been able to keep up! I fully intended to post this evening but definitely not happening due to entirely to much exhaustion. Life in the fast lane!

Be well Linda & Rhett!

• August 2, 2017 / 8:48 pm

Oh V! ☺️
      I could read your comments all day, every day! 💛
      You light up my life. 🤗

Wedding is on the 16th of December. And then I am off on our honeymoon from the 17th through until the 7th of January. Which will be absolutely wonderful. And much needed! ☺️❤️

I know what you mean – blogging is a time consuming hobby. It doesn’t start and stop within a designated time frame, but rather every spare moment is dedicated to it. And yes – super exhausting! 😅😅 But all we can do is do the best we can! And you are doing stunningly my love. 🌺

I am sure I will be keeping in contact with you on and off over the next couple of weeks. But if not, I hope you have a splendid time. And find yourself in beautiful scenic locations, doing what you do best. 😍☺️

7. August 1, 2017 / 3:39 pm

Don’t beat yourself up over things that “need” to be done. Knock off the most important stuff and leave the rest. Life is too short.

• August 2, 2017 / 8:49 pm

Thanks Cliff! 🙂
      And you are too right.
      Just got to do what I got to do! 🤗
      Thank you for the much needed reminder! 🙌🏼

8. August 1, 2017 / 8:33 pm

Wow, you have some busy but amazing times ahead of you. Embrace all that is and balance is surely the key…. enjoy the break Linda. Xx

• August 2, 2017 / 8:52 pm

Thank you so much lovely! 💛
      And until I find my balance, I will be living vicariously through your travels and the yummy food that you eat! ☺️

9. August 1, 2017 / 10:49 pm

Outstanding post and beautiful photos.

• August 2, 2017 / 8:53 pm

Oh thank you so much Jenn! ☺️🙌🏼
      I will check it out! Amazing. 😍❤️

10. August 2, 2017 / 12:22 am

Have a lovely break Linda!!! You definitely deserve it!

• August 2, 2017 / 8:53 pm

Thank you beautiful Pam! ☺️❤️
      See you on the other side! 😜😜

11. August 2, 2017 / 8:42 am

A break is always a good idea. Blogging can get too addictive and crowd in upon your lists of to-do during any given day. I will miss your beautiful posts however.

Excited to hear about your wedding invites and details falling in place. What a lovely time this is – the period before you get married. And look how Rhett and you have spent the days leading up to your special day, hiking your way around magical landscapes. It is to be commended. xx

• August 3, 2017 / 5:51 am

Oh thank you darling! ☺️❤️
      And I will miss getting to wake up 3 times per week to your kind, encouraging comments! 🙏🏽😍

I know! It is getting so close. And I’m pretty excited. I think all our adventures have just been practice until the honeymoon! I am so excited to actually get 2 – 3 weeks away to dedicate to him, and photography, and adventuring.

What have you guys got planned for the upcoming holidays? They are so soon! You must be starting to plan something! 🤔🤔☺️

• August 3, 2017 / 6:46 am

Oh well, before you know you shall be back with you posts 😉 That sounds like a heartwarming trio to engage you. Fiance, photography and adventuring. You enjoy every moment of it, Linda.

We are planning to visit my sister-in-law’s family in Seattle for Thanksgiving (our first one here) and then off to Rome, Delhi and Calcutta at the end of the year. Some time to go but I am enjoying this pause. We needed it after our furious travels last few years. xx

12. Keri Elaine
    August 2, 2017 / 2:25 pm

A break is never a bad thing. You gave your readers a warning and you have a full time job, a wedding to plan, maintain relationships with other bloggers and go on some awesome adventures on the weekend. Honestly I think the engagement period is so short and you should take the time off to enjoy every minute of just enjoying your time with Rhett as fiance’s before you transition into the exciting new chapter of husband and wife! Props to you for conquering your fear of heights! I am still working on it hahaha. Your followers will be here to support you when you get back!

• August 3, 2017 / 5:59 am

Oh Keri! ❤️☺️
      I adore you so. Thank you so much for reminding me of what IS important, and worth worrying about. 🙏🏼🙂

I do have a lot going on. And it’s no wonder 2017 has zipped by me. 😳 I’m not really sure I’ve had a moment to soak it all in!

Thanks for being here for me lovely. And I hope you have a wonderful next few weeks 🌺 and maybe take on some small vertical challenges. Rhett has always had a fear of heights, but with little steps, he has managed to stomach a lot more than what he could earlier this year. ☺️

I look forward to reading up on your adventures Keri! 😘💚

13. August 2, 2017 / 9:19 pm

I think a break from screen time is always nice, whether away from blogging or not. You have such beautiful photos! x

• August 3, 2017 / 6:02 am

Thank you beautiful!! ☺️❤️
      I would have to agree with you.
      It can be such a time suck.

I hope you have a fab few couple of weeks lovely! 🤗🤗

14. August 3, 2017 / 5:29 am

Wow Linda! It sounds like you had a wonderful (but very busy) July. I can relate to needing a break. I have been very busy with work and life lately and have been feeling bad about neglecting my blog. I think we could all benefit from some time to reset! I know you work so hard on your blog (every post is incredible!) and a break is well deserved! Wishing you the best of luck on your upcoming wedding!

Lots of love of from Texas, Nat

• August 3, 2017 / 6:11 am

Oh! Thank you Nat! ☺️❤️
      I am going to miss receiving such lovely comments like this from yourself! 😳

Yes. I absolutely sympathize with you there. I imagine StyleintheAfternoon niggles at you everyday. But I mean, work pays you and life is life, you got to do what you got to do. Maybe a break is due for yourself as well Nat? ☺️ xo